new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Robinson Bridge, Port River | by City of PAE Libraries’ local historical photos
Back to photostream

Robinson Bridge, Port River

Premises of Geo. King, Hairdresser and Tobacconist and Pitt Ltd, Lime and Cement Merchant, southern side of dock. Adelaide Steamship Co. Ltd., Hotel; Butterworth Hancock & Co. on northern side. Robinsons bridge, a bow string girder bridge, was opened on October 26 in 1883 by His Excellency the Governor of SA Sir William Robinson KCMG. It was 129 feet long, 36 feet wide and had footpaths on either side. The bridge was operated by two people with a key turned by a hand lever. A line of rails passed over the bridge to allow freight access to the wharves. Robinsons Bridge closed in March 1935 and demolished in October 1935. From Spanning Time and Tide by Ron Ritter

Photographer : McNeill Studios

Date of original:c1930

2,293 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken circa 1930