In this photo, you can see the original umbilical cable for this hot air rework station, which was large and somewhat inflexible, and certainly limited in length.
So, I took it apart and made a new, longer umbilical. The original cable was an interesting hybrid-- a bunch of skinny wires running down a big fat tube. The outside tube itself was carried the air for the head, right over all of the wires inside.
When I remade it, for the sake of flexibility, I used some silicone aquarium tubing and a number of thin stranded wires for the cable. The new one works well, but I wish that I had made it an extra six inches or so longer. Typical.
So, we come to the problem of how to hold the damned thing. (Read more here.)