octagonal star pattern, work in progress- v.1
a work in progress, trying to find more satisfactory methods of pleating and collapsing octagonal star patterns. I found some solutions that allowed for less creasing, although it's hard to tell from this model- I tried out some other things first, which made more creases than I really wanted (and it's also why the middle is contorted a bit.)
The general plan is to try and replicate some of the star designs that crop up so commonly in Islamic art, which so far have been outside of my folding abilities. I'm working on changing that, and we'll see where it all ends up. I'd like to be able to have a large, complex pattern with many different geometries interacting with each other, although that's a big folding project to tackle. Starting off here with the smaller pieces, trying to sort out all the pleat interactions to make sure a larger work will fit together.