The Last Days of the Maxwell Guest House
The Maxwell Guest House is another historic Rochester structure in danger. Originally built as a modest hotel at 215 First Ave SW in 1877, the Pierce House underwent massive alterations and enlargements before being moved to its current location at 427 Second Ave SW in 1928. At the time, it was the largest structure ever moved in Rochester.
It variously served under many names as a hotel, hospital, and nursing home. Until Dec 1, it had been a boarding house for transients and others who for whatever reason were unable to obtain regular housing. The building, as well as most of the rest of the block, has been purchased by the owner of neighboring Premier Bank. Plans for the Maxwell House's future have not been disclosed by its new owner. However, most people, including its former owner, fully expect the building to be razed.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Demolished June 5, 2007.
This photo is in 5 groups
- Googie, Anyone? 3,881 items
- Googie 4,536 items
- Vanishing Beauty - Please read the group description! 73,631 items
- S!gns 99,984 items
- Arrow Signs 9,204 items