new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Fort Dearborn | by Old Guard History
Back to photostream

Fort Dearborn

On 17 August 1803, a detachment consisting of Captain John Whistler and six soldiers from the 1st Infantry (the 3d Infantry Regiment's predecessor) reached the southern end of Lake Michigan and began construction of Fort Dearborn (present-day Chicago, IL). Whistler would be the commandant of Fort Dearborn until 1810 and would remain part of the 1st Infantry until the end of the War of 1812.

687 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on August 16, 2012