‘If you could only save one thing...’, 2006/07
Ponch HAWKES, born 1946.
From left to right:
1. From her house, Margaret can see several of these ancient gums. The Delatite River is reduced to a stream as it passes through her property, leaving the gums thirsty.
Delatite Downs, near Goughs Bay, Victoria
2. Nell’s claret ash is the focus of her front garden, kept alive with any spare water.
3. Mansfield has a very active garden club. Tom and his wife Rita have laboured long and hard to build their garden. They have now installed a bore.
4. Evelyn and Fred’s garden won the prize for the best garden in their retirement village. Even ‘when not feeling great’, they cart heavy buckets of shower water to sustain their garden.
5. Much admired, but little watered, this almond tree grows up through the asphalt and must fend for itself.