new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Low chapel and Saint Louis | by francescoforbino©
Back to group

Low chapel and Saint Louis

Paris

Sainte Chapelle

 

The Sainte-Chapelle, the palatine chapel in the courtyard of the royal palace on the Île de la Cité, was built to house precious relics: Christ's crown of thorns, the Image of Edessa and thirty other relics of Christ that had been in the possession of Louis IX since August 1239, when it arrived from Venice in the hands of two Dominican friars.

The building is a Palatine chapel, the upper part of which was reserved for the sovereign (a gallery linked the chapel to the royal suite) and in the lower part of which lived the staff of the Palace.

1,617 views
11 faves
79 comments
Taken on June 1, 2009