flickr-free-ic3d pan white

Castle Williams

Castle Williams is a circular red sandstone fort on Governors Island. Originally built in 1811 as part of a defensive system to protect New York Harbor; after 1830 Castle Willaims served as an army barracks for the island's troops and was used as a prison during the Civil War and until 1965. In 1966 Governors Island was turned over to the Coast Guard and Castle Williams was almost demolished but then a decision was made to keep the fort and turn it into a community center, nursery and a meeting place for Scouts and clubs. It is now part of the National Park Service and is a registered historic landmark.

167 views
8 faves
23 comments
Taken on September 16, 2012