new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
The Chapel 1 | by C. Roy Yokingco
Back to group

The Chapel 1

The Chapel is the most notable structure in Fort Ross because it's unusual for North America. It's landmark "small belfry" is a familiar sight along Highway One and the chapel is a mecca for visiting Russians. During the 1906 earthquake, the chapel's old walls completely caved in and the floors and foundation were reduced to rubble. In the spring of 1916 the State Legislature appropriated $3,000 towards its reconstruction. In October of 1970, the restored chapel was entirely destroyed by an accidental fire. The chapel that emerged in 1973 is what is seen today in the compound.

 

Fort Ross is a former Russian settlement located on the west coast of North America in what is now Sonoma County, California USA. It was the hub of the southernmost Russian settlements in North America between 1812 to 1841. This establishment is a landmark in the history of European imperialism. The Spanish expansion went west across the Atlantic Ocean and the Russian expansion went east across Siberia and the Pacific Ocean. In the early 19th century, the two waves of expansion met on the opposite side of the world along the Pacific Coast of California, with Russia arriving from the north, Spain from the south, and the United States of America from the east.

 

For more information, visit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ross,_California

 

This photo is part of a series of images captured during a road trip up the northern coast of California during late spring of 2011. This single-day trip began in the central valley of California and camera shooting started in Windsor just north of Santa Rosa and on to Bodega Bay all the way up to Fort Bragg.

 

View large in lightbox.

  

Copyright ©2011 - C. Roy Yokingco, aka Nextier Photography

All Rights Reserved. Please do not use my images without prior consent.

 

684 views
1 fave
5 comments
Taken on June 19, 2011