My homemade vanilla panna cotta with strawberry sauce adapted from " Something for the weekend" by Simon Rimmer.
Panna Cotta, literally meaning cooked cream in Italian, is a simple, light and delicious Italian dessert. This recipe uses a strawberry coulis for topping but you can use any kind of coulis you like.
Ingredients for the panna cotta:
*3 gelatine leaves
* 250ml/9fl oz milk
*250ml/9fl oz double cream
*1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped out
For the sauce:
*175ml/6fl oz water
*350g/12oz fresh strawberries
1. For the panna cotta, soak the gelatine leaves in a little cold water until soft.
2. Place the milk, cream, vanilla pod and seeds and sugar into a pan and bring to a simmer. Remove the vanilla pod and discard.
3. Squeeze the water out of the gelatine leaves, then add to the pan and take off the heat. Stir until the gelatine has dissolved.
4. Divide the mixture among four ramekins and leave to cool. Place into the fridge for at least an hour, until set.
5. For the sauce, place the sugar, and water into a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
6.Take the pan off the heat and add half the strawberries. Using a hand blender, blend the sauce until smooth.
7.Pass the sauce through a sieve into a bowl and stir in the remaining fruit.
8.To serve, turn each panna cotta out onto a serving plate. Spoon over the sauce and voilà! Desert is served!