One of the oldest lighthouses in Scotland, it lies on Southerness Point, which extends into the Solway Firth 10 miles southeast of Dalbeattie and 13 miles south of Dumfries. Surrounded by the sea at high tide, this square structure was built as a marker in 1749 on the instructions of Dumfries Town Council to ensure safe passage of ships entering the Nith Estuary. A light was added for the first time around 1800 and was improved in 1815, most likely with the help of Robert Stevenson (1772 - 1850). The lighthouse was raised for a second time in 1843-44 taking on its current distinctive shape.
The light was extinguished in the mid-1930s and the lighthouse is now disused.