The present Baptismal Font is one of many used since 1876 when the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist opened at its present location. Symbols on the Baptismal Font match the panels on the front of the Main Altar and the Reredos which were cast in the 170's. Molds. were made of the Reredos designs and sent to Carrara, Italy to be applied to the Baptismal font which was installed during the most recent renovation in 2000. The dedicated craftsman who made the molds stayed alone in the Cathedral to complete the installation during a city-wide hurricane evacuation. Neither the work nor the city were harmed.