Alone in the fields stands the remote church of St. Mary, Ashby, Suffolk.
"Ashby is in Lothingland, the Northernmost hundred of Suffolk. It is a tongue of land enclosed by the Waveney, which turns N after leaving Beccles so that it may reach the sea at Yarmouth rather than Lowestoft. The land here is low-lying and arable, and its villages have usually managed to resist encroachments by their giant neighbours to the N and S. Ashby church now stands alone in farmland, 0.4 mile S of a small, dispersed cluster of houses that is all there is of Ashby village. The medieval village was in the land immediately to the N of the church, and was deserted byc.1600. N of the present village is Ashby Warren and the Fritton Decoy - a lake fitted with nets for catching wild duck. Both the warren and the decoy appear to date from the 16thc."
[The Corpus of Romanesque sculpture in Britain & Ireland]