getting ready for Tet
The celebration of Vietnamese New Year (aka Tet) actually starts days before the New Year. By New Year’s Eve, you should have done the following:
* Clean the entire home to get rid of all the things that are associated with the old year.
* Put away all brooms and brushes.
* Pay all your debts.
* Resolve differences with family members, friends, neighbors and business associates.
* Buy the following:
- red money envelopes
- oranges and/or tangerines
- circular candy tray
- flowers (especially plum blossom, peach blossom, water lily)
- a new set of clothes and shoes for children, preferably something red or orange.
* Get new dollar bills from the bank. Insert the new dollar bills into the red envelopes. which are called "lee see" or lucky money envelopes
What are your family traditions to get ready for New Year?