OHNY Ellis Island
Ellis Island’s south side houses its hospital complex and contagious disease wards. While Ellis Island served as the primary immigration station for the United States, sick, mentally ill or pregnant immigrants were not permitted to enter the country. Those who arrived in need of care, including those first- and second-class passengers who normally would not have gone through Ellis Island, were detained on the south side for medical attention. The 29 structures on the south side are in severe states of decay and have been empty and abandoned since 1954. Stabilization funds to save these buildings have been secured from the United States Congress, the State of New Jersey, and the National Park Service. The south side hospital and administration buildings now have been stabilized and work on the stabilization of the contagious disease wards is underway. www.saveellisisland.org
75 photos · 2,242 views