Piazza San Fedele, Milano.
| Getty Images |
San Fedele is a Jesuit church in Milan, northern Italy. It is entitled to St. Fidelis of Como, patron of the Catholic diocese of Como.
Located in the centre of the city, near the Palazzo Marino, the Teatro alla Scala and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, the church was commissioned by Charles Borromeo to Pellegrino Tibaldi (1559).
The interior is on a single nave, with tall columns in granite. The presbytery was prolonged in the 17th century by Francesco Maria Richino, who also designed the notable sacristy.
Main artworks include a Pietà by Simone Peterzano, a St. Ignatius by Giovanni Battista Crespi (il Cerano) and a Transfiguration, by Lucio Fontana. A Madonna of the Snake by Ambrogio Figino is now in the church of Sant'Antonio Abate of the city.