120. In the pink: Governor John Langdon House
Not much odor to these roses, but they were beautiful in their abundance
After Langdon's death in 1819, the house was occupied by other leading families. At the end of the 19th century, Langdon descendants purchased the house and restored it to its 18th-century glory, adding on a substantial wing designed by McKim, Mead, and White to house modern conveniences. The garden, dating from the same era, features restored perennial beds, a rose and grape arbor, and a pavilion. The house and grounds are now owned and operated as a house museum by Historic New England.