Elder Hostel Birding Trip In the fall of 1894, William H. Church, a contractor and builder, of West Cape May, began work on a 60-room boarding house at the foot of Ocean Street opposite the Star Villas, one of the most delightful locations on the beachfront.
The structure was to be four stories high with a French roof and roomy porches from which there would always be an unobstructed view. The house was to be fitted throughout with steam heat in order to remain open all year. Gas lights were installed and an electric ball system. Special family rates were offered. One hundred thirty-five guests could be accommodated. It was to be known as the Colonial and to be operated by the builder himself.
The present day Colonial is much larger, since the ell extending toward the beach was added later. Under the management of Mr. Fite, an attractive lawn and a swimming pool have greatly enhanced the appearance of the hotel making it one of the show places of Cape May.