Location: 61 Miles west of Tonopah via U.S. Highway 95

Although they were reportedly known since as early as 1863, the veins of silver in the hills around what would become Candelaria were not tapped on a large scale until 1873. Thereafter the town boomed into the early 1880s when it reached a population of about 1,500, the largest town at the time in Mineral County. At its height, Candelaria supported hotels, breweries, a school, telegraph office, saloons, and a branch of the Carson and Colorado Railway. Lawlessness and harsh conditions ruled the town, which started to decline after a fire in 1883, ironically not long after a waterworks was built. The town rebounded briefly in 1890, but was abandoned by 1892.

The stark, treeless landscape at the site of Candelaria has not changed much in the last 150 years. Substantial rock ruins, including those of the bank, remain along with some wooden structures and a cemetery. A nearby abandoned open pit mine is a reminder that new mining processes often turn a profit from ore that was once thought to be tapped out. Keep your distance from the pit, as the sides are not stable, and it is a long way to the bottom.
12 photos · 288 views