Belmont Mill
Location: 47 miles west of Ely via U.S. Highway 50 and White Pine County Road 11

During their heyday, the handful of settlements clustered in the northern part of eastern Nevada’s White Pine Range topped out at almost 20,000 residents. Rich lodes of silver discovered on and around Treasure Hill late in 1867 led to the birth of the settlements of Belmont Mill, Eberhardt, Hamilton, Shermantown, Treasure City, and a handful of smaller camps. Despite the rough climate (some of the towns were at elevations greater than 8,000 feet) the area thrived—Hamilton, the center of the district, grew to be one of Nevada’s largest cities with more than 10,000 residents and was named the White Pine County seat in 1869. Treasure City, the district’s second largest, reached a population of nearly 6,000. By 1870, the district started to decline, and devastating fires in the 1870s and ’80s sounded the death knell for Hamilton, Treasure City, and most of the Treasure Hill mining district. Spared from the fires that claimed the rest, Eberhardt prospered into the 1870s, but declining production eventually spelled its demise in the 1880s.

Ruins dot the hills and valleys all around the former Treasure Hill mining district, most notably at Hamilton and Belmont Mill, where a number of original structures—such as the mill itself—still stand. Hamilton and Belmont Mill are easily reached, but the remains of other towns take some route finding and more serious off-road driving to get to.
11 photos · 148 views