Cauliflower cheese soup
Ingredients (serves 6)
* 700g cauliflower
* 450ml milk
* 450ml thin cream
* 1 bay leaf
* 50g unsalted butter
* 350g chopped onion
* 25g plain flour
* 200ml vegetable stock
* 350g gruyere or cheddar cheese (or half and half)
* 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1. Chop cauliflower into small florets, discard outer leaves and place in a pan with milk, cream and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat until tender. Strain, reserving cauliflower and liquid.
2. Wipe pan clean, return to heat and melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until just softened. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, then add stock and strained liquid, stirring to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes over a low to medium heat or until slightly thickened.
3. Add cauliflower and 300g of cheese and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. (Soup can be prepared ahead up to this stage and kept refrigerated.)
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
5. Divide soup between 6 ovenproof serving bowls and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place bowls in a roasting pan, pour in enough water to come halfway up the sides of bowls and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden.
delicious. - July 2003 , Page 85