Girne Castle, North Cyprus
The castle which lies to the north - east of Girne dominates the harbour and is built on the tedragonal form. It is first referred to by ancient sources in the year 1191 A.D. When the English King Richard The Lion Heart defeated lsac Comnenus on his way to the Crusades and conquered Cyprus. Excavations carried out in and around the castle take us as far as the Hellenistic and Roman Period (111 - 11 B.C.) But so far it has not been possible to establish the exact day of construction of the castle. As a result of the examinations carried out at the site, it is established that, the original castle was built in the VII. A.D. by the Byzantines for the purpose of defending Kyrenia against Arab raids.