St Nicholas market Bristol
Traders originally set up their market stalls in High Street and Broad Street. However, according to the 18th century historian Barrett, these stalls became the cause of 'great obstruction of passengers and general inconvenience of the inhabitants.'
In preparation for the building of the Exchange in Corn Street, several old houses were pulled down. There was enough space left over for the construction of St Nicholas Market in 1743 as a way of solving the problem.
Barrett concludes, 'the city was made also thereby much more airy, pleasant and healthful.'