Balmoral castle Grampian Scotland
Official residence of HM the Queen
Built in the 15th century, Balmoral Castle and the original estate were purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852, but as the original castle was considered too small, a new castle was constructed on the site about 90 metres (100 yards) north from the old building. Prince Albert planned the grounds and helped with the design of the castle itself, which was completed in 1855. Over the years improvements have been made by successive generations of the Royal family; most recently by The Duke of Edinburgh who has enlarged the flower and vegetable garden and created the water garden.