This insignia pin was designed by Dr. George Goode and adopted by the society on May 26, 1891. The spinning wheel motif came from the Society's seal, which Dr. Goode had sketched from one used by his mother in the early 1800s. The blue enamel rim of the spinning wheel and the white gold and platinum flax on the distaff represent the Society's colors, which come from the dark blue and white colors of General Washington's military staff. The Society's name is enameled on the blue rim of the pin, which is decorated with 13 stars which represent the 13 colonies. Each Insignia pin is engraved on the back with the member's name and membership number and is worn attached to a DAR blue and white ribbed and watered ribbon. The ribbon is worn on the left shoulder, with the Insignia placed at the bottom, closest to her heart.