South Engineering
Early in 1907, $65,000 was appropriated for the construction of an engineering building. When completed, the structure was a three-story building measuring 80 feet by 90 feet. It contained lecture rooms, laboratories and classrooms for work in subjects ranging from Mechanical Engineering to Freehand Drawing to blue printing to photography. Space was even allocated for the Lyceum of Engineers.
The formal opening of the building was held on Saturday, January 25, 1908. The Ninth Biennial Report of the Board of Trustees describes the building as being "devoted almost exclusively to the courses of mechanical engineering, civil engineering, steam engineering and physics. There are five general classrooms and two lecture rooms with elevated seats, each of which will accommodate a hundred students.
The third floor is used principally for freehand, mechanical drawing, and work in blue printing and photography. The drawing rooms are exceptionally well lighted, being each arranged with large areas of skylight, and furnished with modern, individual drawing tables. The physics lecture room and laboratories occupy one-half of the second floor. The arrangements for that work are commodious and provided with excellent facilities for laboratory work. On the first floor are three laboratories for work in testing engineering instruments and material, cement investigations and electrical standardization. In addition to the rooms mentioned there is a reading room, supplied with current engineering literature, a hall given over to the Engineer's club, and an engineering museum."
South Engineering was connected by a corridor to the Mechanic Arts Building (1893-1993), which was later referred to as the Engineering Laboratories Building. Today, South Engineering houses the Physics Department.
12 photos · 244 views