Sydenstricker School, Fairfax County, Virginia
Originally known as Pohick School #8, also known simply as “the Little Red Schoolhouse,” and built around 1901 (the exact date is unclear since the Lee District School Board minutes from July 1897 to July 1904 are missing), the one-room schoolhouse burned down on July 12, 1928. It was replaced by October 19, 1928, when the Fairfax Herald reported that construction was completed on the replacement school, and a month later the school, now known as Sydenstricker School, was reopened. The school closed permanently in June 1939. Sydenstricker School was the last one-room schoolhouse built prior to school consolidation in Fairfax County, and it was the last operating one-room schoolhouse in the county when it closed in 1939. The Upper Pohick Community League purchased the building from the Fairfax County School District in 1954, and has owned and maintained the building since.