Women's Rights National Historic Park (Boundary Increase)
Seneca County, NY
The Women’s Rights National Historic Park District is composed of four discontinuous units that are thematically linked to the early 19th century Women’s Rights Movement in the United States and to the First Women’s Rights Convention, held in Seneca Falls, New York, in 1848. The four units are the Wesleyan Chapel/Visitor Center and the Elizabeth Cady Stanton House in Seneca Falls, as well as the M’Clintock House, and the Hunt House which are in Waterloo, New York. A small group of women developed the idea and wrote the call for the convention at the Hunt House in Waterloo. Members of the M’Clintock family met with Elizabeth Cady Stanton to draft the Declaration of Sentiments at the M’Clintock House in Waterloo. The Elizabeth Cady Stanton House, historic for its association with Stanton, who became a national leader of the Women’s Rights Movement, was also a home base for 14 years after the convention, used for the continued development of the Women’s Rights Movement. These two towns, which became the birthplace of women’s rights in the United States, were strategically located in the center of the groundswell of religious and reform movements occurring in central New York in the first half of the 19th century. During the 1830s and 1840s, women’s active roles in anti-slavery and legal reform efforts (on the latter case, specifically with regard to married women’s property rights) informed a growing concern for women’s rights on a broader scale.
The Women’s Rights National Historic Park was established by the US Congress in December 1980 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 12/28/1980. Since that time the National Park Service has purchased several historic lots around the Stanton House and acquired three additional resources: the Visitors Center, the Chamberlain House, and the Young House, which have extended the boundaries of the original site.
Like us on Facebook!