new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Woodbury County Courthouse | by National Register
Back to album

Woodbury County Courthouse

A National Historic Landmark

Woodbury County, IA

Listed in NR: 12/18/1973

Designated an NHL: 06/19/1996

 

Constructed in 1916-1918, this is the nation’s only major civic building in the Prairie style. Faced in Roman brick, with terra-cotta trim and ornaments, the four-story structure, with an eight-story tower rising from its central core, is also the largest example of its style. Initial plans were developed by local architect William M. Steele, who called in two colleagues formerly associated with him in the offices of Louis Sullivan: Minneapolis architects William Purcell and George Elmslie. The courthouse survives in pristine condition, still fulfilling its original function.

1,432 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on August 13, 2009