Census 2010: Ethnicity vs Race
I will be marking both “White” and “American Indian” categories, writing in “mestizo” as the tribal affiliation. From my blog: www.nathangibbs.com/2010/03/17/census-2010-what-race-shou...
[TEXT FROM CENSUS QUESTIONS]
Note: Please answer BOTH Question 8 about Hispanic origin and Question 9 about race. For this census, Hispanic origins are not races.
8. Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?
- No, not of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin
- Yes, Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano
- Yes, Puerto Rican
- Yes, Cuban
- Yes, another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin -- Print origin, for example, Argentinean, Colombian, Dominican, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Spaniard, and so on.
9. What is Person 1's race? Mark one or more boxes.
- Black, African Am., or Negro
- American Indian or Alaska Native -- Print name of enrolled or principle tribe.
- Asian Indian - Japanese - Chinese - Korean - Guamanian or Chamorro - Filipino - Vietnamese - Other Asian -- Print race, for example, Hmong, Loatian, Tai, Pakistani, Cambodian, and so on.
- Native Hawaiian - Samoan - Other Pacific Islander -- Print race, for example, Fijian, Tongan, and so on.
- Some other race -- Print race.