Beneath Highway 90 bridge, Richmond, Texas 1018091117BW
- 44% of the homeless population are employed.
- 62% of the homeless population have a high school diploma.
- 23% of homeless adults are veterans, 33% of homeless men are veterans.
- 57% of the homeless population report having experienced a mental health problem at some point during their lifetime.
- 25% report having experienced physical and/or sexual abuse as a child from someone with whom they lived.
- 23% of the adult homeless population have a mental illness.
- The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty estimates that 40% of homeless people are eligible for SSI, but only 11% receive it.
- Only 37% of the homeless population receive food stamps.
- Only 33% receive Medicaid
- Only 1% of homeless veterans receive veteran-related disability payments.
"Key Data Concerning Homeless Persons in America," National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, July 2004 (www.nlchp.org)