Sultan Sulaiman Royal Mosque
The Sultan Sulaiman Royal Mosque in Klang was opened on 23 June 1933 by the Sultan of Selangor.
When it was completed in 1933,
+ Considered the noblest edifice dedicated to the Islamic Religion in the Malay States
+ The cost of construction was a quarter of a million (Straits) dollars
+ Located at the foot of the hill on which the Sultan's Palace is situated (Alam Shah Palace)
+ Architectural style: Modern rendering of Mohammedan Byzantine architecture. However in modern term the style is regarded as the marriage of Art Deco, neo-Classical, Gothic revival and Turkish/Moorish architectural style
+ The massive domed structure of the mosque is connected by an arcade with a high tower
+ The main domed structure is surrounded by wrought-iron railings forming a courtyard about 150 ft square.
+ The surrounding railings are punctuated by four corner towers and four intermediate ones, each of which is surmounted by a small dome
+ The building is of a light granite colour
+ It has a 136ft high minaret
+ The most sacred part of the mosque consists of a vaulted alcove (mihrab) with mimbar, or pulpit, on one side
+ The line from the porch right through to the mihrab is strictly directed to Mecca (verified by authorised surveyor and Islamic religious officials)
+ The central hall of the mosque is octagonal and 50ft in diameter
+ From the floor of this hall to the top of the apex dome is 91 ft
+ Above the central hall is the interior dome 34 ft in diameter composed of a wonderfully delicate yet strong tracery of ornamental wrought-iron, the upper two-thirds of which are filled with multicoloured glass
+ The building is of reinforced concrete, the tall and dignified mimbar or pulpit being the only wooden structure
+ The wrought-iron work, all of which has been manufactured in England to the architect's design, is most graceful, and it is probable that no other buildings in Malaya has afforded so many opportunities for this form of artistic creation.
+ The architect was Mr. L. Kesteven, F.R.I.B.A , Senior Assistant Architect, Public Works Department, Selangor, and the contractors were United Engineers Ltd, Singapore.