Here's another shot from a couple nights ago out along the bluffs of San Francisco's northern coast west of the infamous Golden Gate Bridge. This isn't a new concept for a photo by any means, but originality is hard to come by. I really like the look of the waves coming in and out over the rocks as long exposures, and espescially with really wide angle lenses as I used here (10mm in this shot). I had to stop down the lens all the way to f/22 in order to slow down the exposure long enough to get this effect.
To reiterate some of what I wrote along with my first shot from this evening I'd really hoped to catch some nice colors from the sunset, but there just wasn't enough of a break in the clouds to let in enough light. What you see along the coast here was it. But, the clouds really were very cool and I'm happy with the results.
I personally quite like this shot along with a number of other long exposures I did here. However, I hadn't realized just how badly my lens had been sprayed with the mist of all these crashing waves (it wasn't obvious on the LCD screen on the camera). So in reality this shot ended up with tons of little droplets on it. I'd normally just hope to try again some time, but decided to try fixing this one up instead, and the result is my most 'manipulated' shot to-date (still not that much though). (You can see the original file here if you're interested.)
I basically created a duplicate of the image and gave it a 50px horizontal blue. The only place I was really concerned about the droplets at was just below the horizon, and in reality things tend to look pretty similar left-to-right so I thought horizontal would work best. I then added the blurred image over top and created a layer mask. I just painted in the blurred image over the spotty original where it was most badly needed, but otherwise tried to preserve as much original detail as possible. For the obvious droplets in the sky, rocks, and mountains I did a tiny bit of cloning or burning to hide them. Overall the image is about 99% untouched but it made a big difference and helped to salvage this shot.
I'm glad I changed the lens after this though or else I'd have ruined some other shots that would have been much harder to fix.
I'd be interested to know if the fixes stand out at all or need a little tweaking since I'm really not experienced with these kinds of fixes. For the record, I used GIMP for the editing.
Nikon D40 | Sigma 10-20@10mm | f/22 | 13s | ISO200 | Tripod