The Firefly was a class of broad gauge 2-2-2 steam locomotives used for passenger services on the Great Western Railway. The class was introduced into service between March 1840 and December 1842, and withdrawn between December 1863 and July 1879.
A 63rd member of the Fire Fly class was unveiled to the public in 2005. It is a replica of the original Fire Fly and is kept at Didcot Railway Centre. It can be seen in steam on regular occasions throughout the year; see link below.
Didcot Railway Centre, located in the town of Didcot in the English county of Oxfordshire, is based around the site of a comprehensive 'engine shed' which became redundant after the nationalisation of the UK railways, due to the gradual changeover from steam to diesel motive power.
The Great Western Society was offered the use of the Didcot Motive Power Depot site and took it over in 1967. The society has a comprehensive collection of ex Great Western Railway (GWR) locomotives and rolling stock. There are two short lengths of running track, each with a station at both ends.