Toronto Public Library Runnymede Branch
1904 - Runnymede Public Library, York Township, opened southwest corner of Willard and Montye Avenues.
1909 - Runnymede Library is incorporated, "organized by a number of public spirited men on October 15th, 1909" (Runnymede Booster, November 1910). By 31 December 1909, it has receipts of $69.50 including a municipal grant of $25 from York Township Council and fees of $36.50 from 57 members. The library had 260 volumes issued 109 times.
1910 - "... on Thanksgiving Day of 1910, the first sod of the site upon which the new building is being erected was turned by Mr. Shunk. .... Mr. H. W. Wodson ... is entitled to recognition as the father of the movement ... writes that 'the members of the Board are all working at night on the building.' ... Mr. Harry Durrant [is] the enthusiastic Secretary -Librarian." (Runnymede Booster, November, 1910).
1918 - "The Runnymede Public Library building is to be lifted bodily from its present location [on Welland Avenue, York Township] and deposited on a new site at the south-west corner of Willard and Montye Avenues" (Toronto Star, 19 April 1918, 13). In later years, the library was converted to a private dwelling and finally demolished in 1947.
1928 - Toronto City Council granted TPL $100,000 to provide new branch libraries for the Runnymede and Danforth districts. Present site acquired.
1930 - Opened 12 November. John M. Lyle Architect.
1971 - Purchase of land behind the branch (6,000 sq. ft.).
1975 - Listed on Toronto Historical Board's Inventory of Heritage Properties adopted by City Council, 10 December.
1978 - Renovated, Stinson Montgomery Sisam Architects.
1979 - Reopened 12 February.
1989 - First issue of postage stamp showing Runnymede branch, 5 May. (Stamp part of Canada Post's Canadian Architecture series.)
2004 - Closed 31 January for renovation, G. Bruce Stratton Architects.
2005 - Re-opened 8 June.
2007 - New hours, 8 January. Hours open per week increased from 60.5 to 62. Ontario Association of Architects - Winner, Design Excellence.
2008 - Public presentation of Heritage Toronto plaque commemorating Runnymede Branch, 21 June.
2178 Bloor Street West, Toronto, ON M6S 1M8