new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Passage | by LusoFox
Back to photostream

Passage

Evoramonte (formerly also spelled "Évora Monte" or "Évoramonte") is a civil parish in the municipality of Estremoz in the Alentejo region of Portugal.

 

It is the site of a castle founded in 1160. The town was also the site of the signing on 26 May 1834 of the peace treaty/armistice known as the "Concession [or Convention] of Évora Monte", which ended the civil war between Dom Pedro IV and Dom Miguel; as a result Dom Miguel went into exile.[1]

 

The municipality of Évora Monte was extinguished in the reforms of 1855, and its territory partitioned among the neighbouring municipalities of Estremoz, Évora, Arraiolos, and Redondo.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evoramonte

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Evoramonte é uma freguesia portuguesa do concelho de Estremoz, com 99,42 km² de área e 569 habitantes (2011). Densidade: 5,7 h/km². Tem o nome alternativo de Santa Maria.

 

Fez parte do património da Casa de Bragança, tendo sido sede de concelho até ao século XIX. Teve foral em 1248. Em 1801 tinha 2 661 habitantes e 227 km². Era constituído por 5 freguesias: Evoramonte, São Pedro, São Bento do Mato, Freixo e Vidigão. Após as reformas administrativas do início do liberalismo foi-lhe anexada a freguesia de Santa Justa.Em 1849 tinha 3 030 habitantes e 270 km².

 

Aqui se assinou, em 26 de Maio de 1834 a Convenção de Evoramonte, que pôs termo à guerra civil de 1832-34 travada entre absolutistas e liberais.

 

pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evoramonte

 

20120423_7D_IMG_6854_Evoramonte

325 views
0 faves
1 comment
Taken on April 23, 2012