Cemetery - Huguenot
In the middle of the chaos of Florida's transfer of government from Spanish rule to American territory, a yellow fever epidemic hit St. Augustine. There was no protestant graveyard serving the area at the time so one needed to be created - quickly. The public burying ground was located just outside the city gates and served the community until 1884.

There does not seem to be a formal name for this cemetery but over the years it has become known as the Huguenot Cemetery although there's only one recorded Huguenot buried here. To protect the graveyard, it is closed to the public except when docents are present - usually Saturday afternoons.

Descriptive notes on individual photos are taken from an 1892 inventory undertaken by B. Frank Leeds and published in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register - Volumes 47 & 48.
185 photos · 257 views
1