"In the Glade a Light was Seen" - Tall Trees & Forest Light
Story Behind The Photo
One of the challenges I quite like, is finding beautiful scenes within a dense forest. With so many distracting elements, it's very difficult to spot simplicity.
In situations like this, I put my blinders on and look for isolated subjects or small groupings.
After walking through a lush glade, I approached a wall of vegetation. Guarding the forest were these two large trees.
The sun was low in the horizon and situated right between the two giants. The leaves and branches diffused the light, creating an ethereal glow.
Man, moments like this are why I love photography.
Some people may look at this scene and only see some grass and a couple tree trunks. For me, I see the start of an epic journey, where a traveler may have rested for a few moments before making their way through the enchanted forest.
I brought the image into Lightroom and adjusted the following...
1. Increased the contrast
2. Brightened the shadows
3. Darkened the highlights
4. Increased the vibrancy
5. Decreased the saturation of the greens
6. Increased the saturation of the reds/oranges/yellows
7. Applied a strong vignette
Next, I brought the image into Photoshop and did the following...
1. Duplicated the layer and set it to soft light ~ This strengthened the ethereal quality of the light filtering through the leaves.
2. Applied the "High Pass" sharpening technique and masked in sharpness on the trees and grass.
Until next time...happy shooting! :)