Swann fountain gold
"The Swann Memorial Fountain: The Philadelphia Fountain Society had been planning a memorial fountain in honor of its late president and founder, Dr. Wilson Cary Swann. After agreeing that the fountain would become city property, the city was granted the choice site in the center of Logan Square. The Swann Memorial Fountain, also known as The Fountain of the Three Rivers, is the work of Wilson Eyre, Jr., and sculptor Alexander Stirling Calder. Eyre designed the basin and the interlacing water jets, including the central geyser that gushed more than 50 feet into the air. Calder created the three bronze Native Americans who symbolize Philadelphia's principal waterways. The young girl leaning on her side against an agitated, water-spouting swan represents Wissahickon Creek; the mature woman holding the next of the swan stands for the Schuylkill River; and the male figure, reaching above his head to grasp his bow as a large pike sprays water over him, symbolizes the Delaware River. The use of swans is an obvious pun on Dr. Swann's name, and Calder's playfulness can also be seen in the bronze turtles and frogs that shoot water from the basin.
When the finished fountain opened with a public celebration in July 1924, ten thousand people danced and surrounded the streets. Fifty-five years later, in 1979, Pope John Paul II drew an even larger crowd - 150,000 people - when he celebrated mass from an enormous platform over the fountain."