With "frets" in place.
Thanks to Chris Vaisvil for the inspiration.
- A link to my recorded compositions in Bohlen-Pierce.
To get the zip ties to sit flat, I used needle-nose pliers to pinch the part on the right edge of the neck to create a sharper angle; then I braced the locking edge and pulled the end tight with the needle-nose pliers.
After further experimentation, I decided to alter the zip ties to make the part that sits on the neck thinner -- that way there was much less "fret" buzz. I simply took a solid pair of scissors and trimmed up the middle of the ties before tying them.
(I kept the outer end as wide as I could, so the locking mechanism would still work, then cut much narrower when I reached the part that sits over the neck.)