Charles G. Janson Garage
The Janson Garage is a one and two-story simply detailed Commercial Brick former automobile garage and dealership building constructed in 1914-15 and expanded in 1933. The original part of the L-plan building is narrow-fronted and deep with a two-story front and roof that slopes gently downward to the rear behind a stepped parapet on either side. Its front is faced in dark red brick and sides and rear are constructed of yellow-buff brick. The front contains a broad central entry – once an auto entry but now containing a double door with sidelights – flanked by two large shop windows on either side and a broad central and narrow side windows above that illuminate a shallow second-story space in the building’s front. The small second story and sloping flat roof are supported by timber Howe trusses, with metal tie rods, spanning the building. The one-story addition, originally fronted by three garage bays and a large window, adjoins the original garage, with its front set well back from the 1914-15 building’s front. The addition’s front and sides are faced in buff brick, the rear in common red brick.