Lunching in History...
Sultan Suleyman the Magnificant commissioned the Suleymaniye Mosque, which was designed by Architect Sinan and built between the dates 1550-1557. It is the central piece of a kulliya. Our building had been used as an imaret at the beginning and then it was used as the dining hall (dar’üz ziyafe) of the empire. In Darüzziyafe building, Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum has been opened for visit in 1913.
The museum has been moved to İbrahim Pasha Palace from here in 1983. Until 1987, it had been empty. In 1987, the building was allocated to the Foundation of the Turkish World Researches.
After a nine month restoration period that covers the preparing the most harmonic project with the magnificent building complex of Suleymaniye, the scouring the stone and marble surfaces, landscape gardening, the restoration of the miniatures, stained glasses, and needles just as original; the repair works of the roof, setting the light and sound system; design and creation of the kitchen and dining halls, it was open to serve in January 18, 1992 as Darüzziyafe Turkish Cuisine.
Today, Darüzziyafe Turkish Cuisine, like its past, serves as a “banqueting chamber”
and keeps alive our taste and cuisine culture.