Here Comes the Overpriced Dress... (Same-Sex Marriage Cartoon)
• New York Governor Eliot Spitzer's commendable attempt to get gay-marriage legislation passed in New York
• Ariel Levy's awesome piece in New York magazine about her lesbian wedding/"Party About Love." I loved her story and her amazing dress, but I can't imagine paying that much, which brings me to...
• My experience wedding dress shopping with my mom. We went to a store that sold USED and SAMPLE wedding dresses, many of which were stained, torn, worn or needed alterations, but still cost at least $1,200 each. So I got a white lacy 50s-style knee-length cocktail dress for $100 on eBay.
Oh, and here's the photo reference I used for this image, from an unsuccessful solo trip I took to David's Bridal.
By the way, my point in this cartoon isn't that LGBT weddings aren't as meaningful or worth spending money on, far from it. The point is that...
• The whole wedding industry, especially in New York, is a scam in which cakes and dresses suddenly cost 100 times their normal value and...
• Same-sex marraige needs to be legal, NOW.
© 2007 Mikhaela B. Reid. All rights reserved. If you'd like to run one of my cartoons on your website or in print, please email me at email@example.com for rates and information. See my website www.mikhaela.net for more.
My first book collection, Attack of the 50-Foot Mikhaela!, goes on sale in just a few short weeks!