Marble Hill - South
The Riverside front of Marble Hill House in Twickenham, London.
Marble Hill House was built in 1724-1729 for Henrietta Howard, Countess of Suffolk, the mistress of King George II. The architect was Roger Morris, collaborating with Henry Herbert, Earl of Pembroke.
The house became a model for future architects and landowners whom wanted to build their own English "villa" throughout the Thames Valley. Was also a model for plantation houses in the American colonies, where such a house was a "mansion".
The house is now owned by English Heritage, which acquired it upon the abolition of the Greater London Council in 1986.