Cathedral Church of St. Peter, Exeter
One of England's most beautiful Medieval cathedrals and one of the finest examples of decorated Gothic architecture in this country. Famous for its two Norman towers, impressive west front carvings and the longest unbroken stretch of Gothic vaulting in the world.
A Minster church stood at Exeter until 1003 when Vikings destroyed it. Exeter became a Cathedral in 1050 when St Germans and Crediton were amalgamated under Exeter. The Cathedral visible today is from 1250 to 1369. The twin towers at the East end are Norman. Exter was damaged by bombing in World War II.
Completion of Exeter Cathedral was achieved by John de Grandisson who was Bishop of Exeter from 1327-1369. John de Grandisson built the vaulting in the Nave with his coat of arms in the second from last bay and an image of John de Grandisson in the last bay. John de Grandisson was buried in 1369 within a small chapel he had built within the west wall but was despoiled in the 16th Century. A large 14th Century boss shows the murder of Thomas a Becket being murdered in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170.