MOLLY BROWN HOUSE (Molly Brown House Museum)-1340 Pennsylvania
”MOLLY” BROWN HOUSE (Molly Brown House Museum)
National Register 2/1/1972, 5DV.178
The Brown House, a two-and-one-half-story stone structure, was originally started in 1887 by George W. Clayton or Isaac N. Large. It was purchased by James J. and Margaret (Maggie) Tobin Brown in 1890 and completed circa 1892. Its importance is tied to the "rags to riches" elements in early Colorado history and one of Colorado’s most colorful women. Though widely publicized as the "Unsinkable" Mrs. Brown for her heroic demeanor as a survivor of the Titanic sinking in 1912, the popular 1960s Broadway musical first gave Maggie her now famous nickname, the "Unsinkable Molly Brown."