Jesmond Dene - Mill House
The Old Mill is an important part of the industrial heritage and here we will tell you more about it and something of the story of the Ouseburn Valley – how the valley developed, the history and technology of watermills, and the changes brought by the Industrial Revolution.
History, Ownership and Uses
Watermills were in use in the Dene from at least the 13th Century. Northumberland Court records for 1271-2 mention a dispute over ownership of two watermills in Heaton and Jesmond Vale by heirs to Adam of Jesmond. Although the exact location of these mills is not known, it is possible that the Heaton mill was located at the site of the Old Mill.
A water corn mill certainly existed on the site by 1739, owned by the Ridley’s and known as Mabel’s Mill or Maboll’s Mill. Deeds record the owner as Matthew Ridley and John Cutler was the miller.
The current Listed Building probably dates to the early 19th Century (before 1820), possibly incorporating an earlier mill on the site and has been much repaired and altered over the years
A map from 1800 shows a small structure on the site and names the land as belonging to Batts and High Mill. A painting from 1820 shows the mill in its current layout but with a large extension to the West (upstream). It was recorded on the 1st Edition OS map as Heaton Corn Mill in 1858 by which time the extension to the West had been demolished. By the time of the 2nd Edition OS of 1895 it was called Jesmond Old Mill and so was out of use.