View looking northeast from the Richfield Building, 1930
So much to like about this image (which is a detail of a much larger high-res shot). Over on the right is the ironwork going up for the Edison Building (upper 5th Street and Grand Avenue) and proceeding up Grand Avenue, next to it, the red brick building, is the Sherwood Apartments and then a seemingly vacant lot actually occupied by a small Victorian cottage (425) and then the immense four-story Granada (419), then the top of Zelda LaChat's family home at 407 S. Grand and finally, on the corner of 4th and Grand Avenue, the Zelda, her thirty-nine unit apartment building wherein she will have passed four years earlier in 1926. To the right of the Zelda, on the east side of Grand Avenue, is the Leonard J. Rose Mansion (directly beyond the Rose Mansion is the Mutual Garage at 4th and Olive Streets and peeking through to the left of the garage is the backside of the Olive Inn). Going west from the Zelda on 4th (to the left) is a small single family dwelling at 612 W. 4th (hidden from view, it appears to be vacant property) and then three very similar appearing apartment houses, first the Gordon at 618, the Bronx (624) and on the corner of 4th and Hope, the La Belle (630). It might be of interest to note that the Gordon faces pretty much directly up the southern terminus of Bunker Hill Avenue. Coming down the east side of Hope Street behind the La Belle is a large parking lot, then the L.A. Gas & Electric Company at 430 S. Hope, then next a low-lying garage which, I believe, opened onto a small alleyway behind the Sherwood (this garage will be demolished with the coming of the Edison garage and Annex), then the Pierce Apartments which backed up to the Engstrum Hotel/Apartments and a one story single family dwelling which appears to have been multi-purposed with some small business (a doctor's office perhaps) on the NE corner of Hope and upper 5th Street. These last two, the Pierce and the little single family, will soon be acquired by the Engstrum and turned into open parking. At the bottom edge/center-right (with the single, pyramidical capped turret) is the roof of the Mount View Apartments soon to be lost with the coming of the Sunkist Building. And now going up the west side of Hope Street from the Mount View is the Touraine with what appears to be a black-roofed penthouse/solarium, just over the edge of the Touraine you can see the nearly square, white Sons of the Revolution library (at 437 S. Hope), brand new here having opened perhaps a year earlier. Behind the Sons library and partially hidden in those scrawny trees but still just over the edge of the Touraine can be seen one of the original outbuildings that predated the library. Remember when Stowell deeded the property to the Sons he only deeded a portion, holding back nearly three quarters of the actual land area. The ridgeline of this little house runs parallel to Hope Street. Next is the squarish four-story Santa Barbara and the Rubaiyat (with it's unusual stepped side façade) at 427 S. Hope Street. The Rubaiyat was built on the site of the late Dr. John Carl Zahn's residence, a handsome large Victorian with a small horse pasture out back for his son's horses. After the Doctor's passing his widow had the home demolished and built the Rubaiyat on the site (originally to be called the Zahn Apartments). The sons are generally credited with developing the southeast corner of 4th and Hope with the construction of the three 'peas-in-a-pod', the Gordon, the Bronx and the LaBelle, but the timing seems to indicate the widow played a role here as well with all four buildings going up at about the same time in 1912. North of the Rubaiyat we have an expanse of open ground and then the stark white Barbara Worth Apartments (formerly the Briggs) at 407 S. Hope Street. There is a single family residence on the SW corner next to the Barbara Worth, its roofline can just be seen here. The Hildreth Mansion is on the NW corner but is not visible, being just out of view in the upper left corner. On the NE corner of 4th and Hope, facing the three-peas-in-a-pod are three more, similarly sized apartment buildings. On the corner, directly opposite the LaBelle, is The Gibson (635 W. 4th) with a peaked cornice hiding a flat roof, next to it The Kiernan (631 W 4th) a hip roof with a single dormer and the third is the Crestholme (621 W. 4th) with a penthouse solarium toward the rear, directly across 4th Street from the Gordon, putting it on the NW corner of 4th Street and Bunker Hill Avenue.
detail of panorama.
USC digital archive/Dick Whittington Photography Collection, 1924-1987