The Maccabees Building was originally constructed for the fraternal organization Knights of the Maccabees. It was designed by Albert Kahn and completed in 1927.
The Knights of the Maccabees later formed the Royal Maccabees Insurance Company and occupied the building--along with radio and TV station WXYZ--until 1960. Detroit Public Schools used the building until 2002, renaming it the School Center Building. It was then purchased by Wayne State University which uses it for offices.