Myron Hunt, Architect (1868 –1952)
Myron Hunt (1868 –1952) was one of the most important Southern California architects of the 20th Century, designing many important area landmarks. architects in Southern California important architect whose numerous projects include many noted landmarks in Southern California. He graduated from MIT in 1893 with a Bachelor of Science in Architecture Degree and elected a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects in 1908. In 1903 he moved to Los Angeles and entered into a partnership with Elmer Grey. The firm Hunt and Grey opened an office in Pasadena, and within a short period of time, established a reputation with the well-connected and well-to-do of the city. In 1909, they designed a home in San Marino for Henry Huntington with a large addition in 1934; the house would later become the principal art gallery of the Huntington Library. Their commissions include the Throop Institute in Pasadena, which later became the California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech). By 1911 the firm was hired to design the new campus of Occidental College in Eagle Rock; Hunt would be the principal campus architect until 1940. The pair designed a master expansion plan for Pomona College in 1908 where Hunt would later design the school's Bridges Hall of Music (1915). They designed numerous plans for remodeling and expansion some of the most prominent hotels in the region, including a new wing for the Mission Inn (Riverside, CA 1913) and the Ambassador Hotel (1921). Hunt and Grey dissolved the partnership in 1912, by which time Hunt formed a new relationship with architect Harold C. Chambers. Their commissions included public libraries in Pasadena, Redlands, Palos Verdes Estates and Santa Barbara, California.
98 photos · 428 views